Upgrade php 5.2.X to 5.3.X

Hello,

As the title suggests, the newest version of PHP is 5.4.7 and 000webshost is stuck with 5.2.17. Are these guys thinking of updating?

Thank you!

Stefany

Best answer http://www.000webhost.com/forum/comments-suggestions/22903-upgrade-php-5-2-x-5-3-x.html

Thread moved

Maybe it is easier to wait until all users went to other providers, so they only need to upgrade to php6 on one server?
Honestly, it is one thing to throttle some of the functionality of a service for free customers, like number of database, around the clock support, maximum bandwidth, visitors, disk quota, etc., but something else to not configure the services corectly, not update to at least officially supported versions of software, not applying security updates, and providing outdated tools. Especially when some or all of these things are promised when you sign up.

Hi everybody,

first of all thank the great quality of this free service, which for me is the best of all that I could find and try (a lot :wink: ).

For now, the versatility to use freely this free hosting, give me all capabilities to use for my personal and experimental plan, in a “learning mode”.

Be assured that in the future if I need to hire a professional hosting, the choice will be your career plan, indeed.

The issue is that I uploaded to FTP version 3.0 of Joomla, but I can not run the installer as to enter the site to run the installation tells me I need version 5.3.1 or higher for that version.

Is there any possibility to update the PHP version of the server, or are planning to do so soon?

(the PHP version of the server is out to date since 2011)

Thanks a lot for your attention.

BR

ByteEyes
[COLOR=“Gray”]digital art[/COLOR]

There’s this from an admin - http://www.000webhost.com/forum/before-registration/31262-php-5-3-2-a.html#post169899 but no announced date yet.

is very good news :)! hopefully it will happen shortly
 :rolleyes:

I need to install mediawiki but need 5.3.x

Oh yeah :confused: you are right

PHP 5.3.x is already needed.

Keep in mind, they’ve got thousands of sites (just a guess), it’s not as easy as going through a simple 5-minute dialog. It’s going though a 5-minute dialog 1000 times. That will take 7 12-hour days. The company just can’t afford to put all of their websites down for that long. And programming a way to make each site go down while it is upgrading will take months to do, especially because they have ~50 servers that they squeeze all of the sites into. They are working on it, but I’m not too concerned. If there is a PHP security vulnerability now, there was a security vulnerability always and no one should have used it.

Wellllll
 upgrading isn’t done per site, but per server. And if there were even 100 servers, I’m sure that there would be some kind of management software in place to roll out upgrades over all of them.

I believe some admin said earlier (possibly in a different thread) that they’d have to not only upgrade the php, but they’d have to upgrade parts of their own system aswell, as their system does not support Php 5.3.x

So upgrading some servers isn’t the only problem.

True, but that could take days, or even weeks. Some sites just can’t afford to go down that long.

In a sedate approach, upgrading each server at a time, with a large number of servers, it could take weeks before all were done. But that doesn’t mean that all that time all the site would be down. If the new version is installed side by side to the old one, no downtime is needed at all. People could then migrate sites as needed. Eventually the older versions could be phased out. No sweat, no downtime.

I guess this is what you get with a free webhost: lack of up-to date software.

MediaWiki requires php 5.3 or higher. Please upgrade.

Hi,

I’m just wondering if you guys are planning on upgrading php to 5.3.19?

I’m looking at putting phpbb on and their next version will require 5.3.3 (https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2152375)

Thankyou :slight_smile:

Hello !
I tried to install Joomla 3 on your server 
 But it’s impossible because :
Your host needs to use PHP 5.3.1 or higher to run this version of Joomla!

And Phpbb will require soon too 

What will happenand when ?

What can i do while waiting ?

TY ! :slight_smile:

I think I will move to x10 hosting then

Lazy I would call then

On the pre-sales page ( http://www.000webhost.com ) it is stated that they provide the latest versions of php and mysql: "Unlike other free webhosts we do support PHP and MySQL with no restrictions. You get full access to the latest version of PHP and MySQL."
In the FAQ section they say they have been providing free hosting for 2 years, since 2007.
I guess the text was written in 2009, and was accurate then. Which means the ‘latest’ version would be what was available in 2009.